Monday, June 12, 2017

June 12 - end of chapter 6, pages 161-168

Interestingly, a character "Margareen" is described, about which Joyce describes the composition of a piece of music, the composition method, etc.  This women is quested over by the triumvirate of Burrus, Caseous and Antoninus - known to us from Julius Caesar but here rendered synonymously as butter and cheese and Antoninus.  These three zip in and out of the text, unstick from time and perform various deeds throughout the Wake.  In these pages, the final questions and answers of Chapter 6 are answered - the questions and answers equally dense and perambulatory.  "Hm, what was the question again?" I feel myself asking over and over.

This segment continues the discussion of the Dime Cash problem, quite obtusely.  I read that even Campbell et. al. have pondered this topic of this chapter unsuccessfully.

A typically dense passage from this section:

 "   Now, while I am not out now to be taken up as unintention-
ally recommending the Silkebjorg tyrondynamon machine for
the more economical helixtrolysis of these amboadipates until
I can find space to look into it myself a little more closely first
I shall go on with my decisions after haveing shown to you in
good time how both products of our social stomach (the excellent
Dr Burroman, I noticed by the way from his emended food
theory, has been carefully digesting the very wholesome criticism
I helped him to in my princeps edition is all so munch
to the cud) are mutuearly polarised the incompatability of any
delusional acting as ambivalent to the fixation of his pivotism. "

1. Note that this is one single, run-on sentence.

2.  The parenthetical remark seems to pull us entirely away from
      the sense of the sentence.

3.  Dr Burroman, a version of Burrus (Brutus, butter, etc)

4.  Check out the word "mutuearly":  mutually / much early /
     mutually early

5.  Pivotism?  Ability to stand your ground, yet be flexible in
     response?


No comments:

Post a Comment