Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Initial Blog - amateur reader tackles James Joyce's Finnegan's Wake as a summer reading project

You can all join in and read along with me on this, should you want to do so.

I have long PINED to be a reader, in the real sense, of James Joyce's seemingly impenetrably dense tome, Finnegan's Wake. I have tried on several occasions, only to be defeated by the overwhelming force of his vocabulary, allusions, images and thought.

Now I have determined that I will read it straight through, come what may, understand what I may, not understand what I may.

Ground Rules for myself:

1. Start by May 15, 2017, complete by September 1, 2017.  (This may not sound ambitious, but believe me, it is!)

2. Read a minimum mandatory number of pages per day.

3. Post daily findings from readings, Monday through Friday each week.

4. Invite others to read in parallel and comment along with me on my Finnegan's Blog blogsite.

5. Not go insane in doing the above (again, this may not sound ambitious.......)

My first step was setting up this blog.  My next step will be some planning (pages / day, etc.) and roping others into my crazed project.

Sincerely

John F Browning

No comments:

Post a Comment