Thursday, April 20, 2017

The Plan

I shall plan to read Finnegans Wake from the week starting May 7 through the week starting September 10.  This is 19 weeks.  The book has 628 pages.  This makes for 33 pages per week.

This seems to be easily possible.

Between now (4/20/2017) and May 7, I hope to complete Campbell's Skeleton Key and a couple of other strategy books, compile some word lists and persona lists.  I have the online gloss, will have the annotations and should have a good idea of the book's outline and general gist(s?) by the time I start "reading" proper.

I will be reading my 1967 Viking Press version of the book ($2.25 cover price), the same one I first attempted to read when I was 19 years old, and dipped back into in the 80s, when I was in my 30s.  I am now 66 years old, will be 67 when I finish it in September.  Hopefully, I know quite a bit more than I knew back then, which presumably gives me a better chance at success.  Also, before I somewhat foolishly thought to read the bare text without 'stooping' to secondary resources.  But, as the philosopher Dirty Harry would say, "A man's gotta know his limitations."  I will use the secondary resources to enable me to read the thing.  Tempus fugit.

No comments:

Post a Comment