Monday, July 10, 2017

Chapter 9, pages 260-280  pertaining to the children's education

So, this chapter focuses in on the medieval idea of education, being the "Trivium" and the "Quadrivium" and on the education of the children from the Children's Hour of the previous chapter.  It generally wanders off into the history of the world, creation and so forth.

The chapter has a "The House that Jack Built" (the repetititive memory-testing nursery rhyme) which shows up in variations throughout the section.

The section, in this regard, echoes Swift again, with the idea of a children's tale, but also in the use of extensive footnotes and annotations in a work of fiction.  This chapter has extensive footnotes throughout and annotates on the left and right margins, Shem commenting in the left margin, Shaun in the right margin.  I wanted to quote one footnote, which illustrates the creative nature of this conceit on Joyce's part. (Nabokov took this too its illogical extreme in his novel "Pale Fire"). Here is the footnote from page 279 of Finnegans Wake - its a real showstopper:

This is approximately one third of the footnote

1. Come, smooth of my slate, to the beat of my blosh! With all these gelded
ewes jilting about and the thrills and ills of laylock blossoms three's so much
more plants than chants for cecilies that I was thinking fairly killing times of
putting an end to myself and my malody, when I remebered all your pupil-
teacher's erringnesses in perfection class. You sh'undn't write you can't if you
w'uld'nt pass for underdevelopmented. This is the propper way to say that, Sr. If
its me chews to swallow all you saidn't you can eat my words for it as sure as .
there is a key in my kiss. Quick errit faciofacey. Whan we will conjugate to-
gether tolosher tomaster tomiss while morrow fans amare hour, verbe de vie,
and verve to vie with love ay loved have I on my back spine and does







No comments:

Post a Comment