Friday, July 28, 2017

Finnegans Wake - the perfect pool book pp.339-370

This section, comprising another dialog, this time between Butt and Taff, is really thoroughly challenging and engrossing. I found that it was best read in solitude at the swimming pool on a very quiet afternoon, so that I could heads-down read aloud in my faux Irish accent with 100% concentration.

Although this is supposed to be one of the easier chapters, it isn't. It requires complete concentration to decipher the descriptions of Butt and Taff before each of them speaks and the utterances of the two.  This section you just have to ride along on.  I feel that I really need to read it again, probably a couple more times.

We are situated here in HCE's pub, listening to the dialogue, a dispute between the two brothers and some extensive, mellifluous description.

No comments:

Post a Comment