Friday, August 25, 2017

I found it! My favorite word in all of Finnegans Wake

Page 542

"interquackeringly"


"Sapphrageta and Consciencia were undecidedly attached to me but the maugher machrees and the auntieparthenopes my schwalby words with litted spongelets set their soakeye pokeys and botchbons afume: Fletcher-Flemmings, elisaboth, how interquackingly they rogated me, their golden one, I hesitant made replique: Mesdemdes to leursieuresponsor; and who in hillsaide, don't let flyfire till you see their whites of the bunkers eyes!"

I believe that this is HCE going on about his "indiscretion" in the park, addressing the intolerable four old judges.

interquackeringly is a disassembled and reassembled word, being the word "interrogated" with the "rogated" split off and placed two words later.  "Inter" is conjoined with "quackingly", giving the girls interrogating him the sense of a poultry flock.  Very crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment