Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Daily Summary                   Day 7 Reading Finnegans Wake  
Chapter / Pages :                48-60
What happens?                   Various personages weigh in on the doings of HCE.  Those persons seem to resemble HCE.  An opinion (book written in 1939) on television killing telephony is given.  This is quite curious looking back on this.  The trial and incarceration of HCE are discussed at length.
Experience of the text:      I was struck by the language of this section particularly.  The discursiveness and multi-voicing is quite good, this comes out in reading aloud, which creates a real sonorous trance state.  

I have altered my reading procedure to read silently first, then read aloud. This notably improves my ability to read the text aloud.
Procedure:                           1. First reading –  silent reading, no annotations    2. Second reading –  read aloud  3. Third reading – silent read through with annotations.                                                        

Discussion:                          
The following quote seems to be almost written about 2017:
“Thus the unfacts, did we possess them, are too imprecisely few to warrant our certitude, the evidencegivers by legpoll too untrustworthily irreperible where his adjugers are semmingly freak threes but his judicandees plainly minus twos.” 
This section is about the untrustworthiness of reporting and judicial processes.  “unfacts” are currently all to
going on right now.

I wanted to note today that the sense of awe about Joyce's accomplishment here is growing upon me daily. As I contemplate the whole of the composition, I find myself disbelieving that he was able to do this.  As I break down sentence after sentence, each with multiple eras in time and invented words, allusions, etc I am in awe.  And each sentence, when spoken correctly, is so amazingly put together, melodious and poetical.
As I say, Joyce's accomplishment here is progressively stunning.






No comments:

Post a Comment