Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Day 9 Finnegan's Wake - Book 1, Chapter 3 p 66 -74

So this was an interesting portion of the proceedings. In particular, the section where an American Hog Caller begins to declaim - a particularly interesting section of text, an extended italicized list on pages 71 and 72.  This list of very humorous names rivals the best lists of Dickens.  I particularly like that it goes on and on and on, mixing every sort of fanciful name that you can't even imagine. Some of the hogs: Hoary Hairy Hoax (could be Trump, almost), the Ace and Deuce of Paupering, Grunt Owl's Factotem and Vee was a Vindner.

The section in general deals with the trial and incarceration of Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker.


FOR THE BIRDS

Something I notice, is that when I read Finnegan aloud, my two parakeets, Jack and Jorma, go berserk. The squawk, chirp and flap the whole while.  The power of Joyce.

My Irish brogue has become studied.

No comments:

Post a Comment