Monday, May 8, 2017

Day 3 Reading Finnegans Wake - Jute and Mutt, the Comet, Finn McCool falls

Daily Summary                    Reading Finnegans Wake
Chapter / Pages :                16 - 22
What happens?                 The dialog of Mutt and Jute (Mutt and Jeff comic strip), representing 562 AD (the comet) and 1132 (the death of Finn McCool and other things) is joined.  These two are talking across time, an ancient of early medieval to a later medieval man talking in Dublins of very different eras. Some of the cataclysms of history begin to converge in the text.
562 A.D.  The Great Comet that destroyed Britain – nothing grew for 7 years after.  Jutes, of course were a tribe of people in ancient Britain and Ireland)         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZQKpsy2OgM
1132 A.D.  Much ado in Finnegans Wake  (from Wikipedia) 
  • 1132 A.D. O'Hanlon, Life of St Laurence O'Toole II: "Laurence ... O'Toole was born in the year 1132". St Laurence O'Toole was the patron saint of Dublin → Henry II of England, who is often coupled with Laurence O'Toole in FW, was born in 1132 (actually 5 March 1133, but 25 March was observed then as New Year's Day)
§  1132: 1132 = 283 x 4. In the Annals of the Four Masters, the death of Finn MacCool is dated to 283 A.D. In Joyce's manuscripts File:MMLJ.png is the siglum for the Four Old Men
§  1132 feet per second: the speed of sound in air
§  32 feet per second per second: acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the Earth, and therefore an integral part of the law of falling bodies → symbolic of the Fall of Man, it recurs throughout Ulysses as well as FW
§  Romans 11:32: "For God has consigned all men to disobedience that he may show his mercy to all"
§  11: in the denary system of numbers, 11 represents the beginning of a new cycle

Experience of the text:  In reading aloud this section, I am starting to get more at the Irish “lilt” of the language.  I find that I need to read it in a slow, “stately” rhythm, following the natural phrasing.  I found this in Chaucer as well.  I need to fall into the metrical nature of the text, pronouncing carefully (iambic pentameter – sort of mode) and then the inner Irish voice naturally asserts.  The reading aloud of the text creates a unique psychological state, another voice in the room (Joyce, I guess).  It’s a unique experience to read FW.  The text emerges sonically as familiar and yet very unfamiliar.  I find myself thinking “Oh, yeah, this is familiar to me” and then, immediately: “What? Wait. What is he talking about here?”  These two feelings toggle in and out rapidly – familiar / unfamiliar.  Very unusual, and again, akin to reading Chaucer.
The assimilation of the material into a coherent, continuous narrative in my mind is TENTATIVE.  Probably intentionally (on Joyce’s part) I am experience the Wake as akin to a river – I’m watching objects pass by in the stream, recognizing some, not recognizing others and my mind is trying to associate them all together.  This is like attempting to eat a meal from a trough with a rapid current with a fork without getting sloppy and wet.
Procedure:                           1. First reading – aloud    2. Second reading – read with annotations / gloss  and the Skeleton Key text by Campbell 3. Third reading – silent read through following first two readings.                         I’m sticking with this.  I think its getting me about 25% of the way to full cognition of the Wake.  I’m seeing this is a book you have to read forever to really “get”.                               
Discussion:                          
I started reading FW a week early to get my bearings before “seriously” getting into it.  I think this was a good decision. By the time of my Planned Start (May 15), I will be fully engaged with the text and perhaps feeling less hopeless, less the drowning man.

I am also reading up a bit on Joyce on the side. His approach to Finnegan is interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment